020 7219 5085/6215
Jim Fitzpartick
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

29 Jan

By

No Comments

Jim Fitzpatrick MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk

January 29, 2015 | By | No Comments

Print

Jim Fitzpatrick MP has urged Poplar and Limehouse residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign has found that 16.4 million households in the UK could be at risk of poisoning they don’t have an alarm in their home which will warn them of the poisonous gas.

As carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste, installing an audible alarm that sounds when the gas is present is the only way to make sure you are protected. It can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler, cooker or fire – which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation.

Jim Fitzpatrick MP is supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.

Jim Fitzpatrick MP for Poplar and Limehouse, said:

“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Too many people are dying or suffering needlessly from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. That’s why I am urging every resident in Poplar and Limehouse to make sure they and their loved ones are protected by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm.”

Lawrence Slade, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! spokesperson, said:

“Our campaign aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and we are urging people to protect themselves by purchasing an audible alarm. They are available at supermarkets, DIY stores high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. Importantly, they save lives.”

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep households safe:

1. Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. It should meet European standard EN50291 (you can find this on the alarm and/or packaging). Carbon Monoxide alarms are a similar size to smoke alarms and only take a few minutes to fit

2. Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by an appropriately qualified and registered engineer

3. Don’t block ventilation and have chimneys swept at least once a year

4. Know the main symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and loss of consciousness and watch out for soot or yellow/brown staining on or around your appliance or pilot lights that blow out frequently

Submit a Comment

Designed and Maintained by
MRS Web Solutions

This website is funded from Parliamentary allowances.

Jim Fitzpatrick MP